The national competition of the Polish Allotment Federation “Family Allotment Garden of the Year” - 07.01.2016
Every year The National Council of the Polish Allotment Federation (the PZD) organizes the national competition which is called “Family Allotment Garden of the Year”. It is tradition which still exists in life of allotment gardens and the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation. It is also a perfect occasion to praise achievements and beauty of the allotment gardens. This competition is popular among the allotment gardeners and draws attention of allotment gardening supporters.
The competition “Family Allotment Garden of the Year” is directed to 4.846 family allotment gardens in Poland which are managed by the PZD. Allotment gardens are submitted by the Presidiums of Regional Boards of the PZD. However, these gardens have to be laureates in regional competitions in the last year.
What is assessed?
Allotment gardens from areas Poland compete for titles and valuable prizes. They have to show their achievements in many fields. The Competition Commission evaluates gardens in the following categories:
- Statutory activity (e.g. keeping documentations, development plan of the allotment gardens compared with facts, garden equipment in horticultural and mechanical equipment)
- The allotment garden activity in defense of the PZD, the allotment gardens and the Law on Family Allotment Gardens
- Educational activity (e.g. trainings, promotion of the PZD’s literature, keeping a garden chronicle)
- Investment and infrastructure repairs in the allotment garden
- The allotment garden’s development (e.g. technical condition of the garden, update bulletin board)
- Plots’ development (e.g. co-work with the police and the municipal police)
- Promotion of the allotment gardens (e.g. organization of Garden Day of Allotment Gardner, cooperation with schools)
The winners get not only honorable titles but also valuable prizes. First place winner receives a trophy of the President of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation, a diploma and a commemorative plaque and a cash award of 5 thousand zl. Other winners receive trophies, certificates, commemorative plaques and cash awards of 4 thousand zl.
The prizes are officially presented at the National Day of the Allotment Gardener.
The competition in year 2015
On the 15th July of 2015 the Presidium of the National Council of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation passed the resolution establishing the competition "Family Allotment Garden of the Year 2015". The family allotment garden K. Swierczewski in Nowy Tomysl in the poznanski district was the Best Family Allotment Garden of the Year 2015. Laureates were also five other family allotment gardens.
The Best Family Allotment Garden of the Year 2015
The family allotment garden (ROD) K. Swierczewski in the poznanski district was given the tittle of The Best Family Allotment Garden of the Year 2015. The garden was highly evaluated by the Competition Commission and collected almost maximum points. The ROD K. Swierczewski was founded in 1958 and occupies an area of over 17 hectares. 370 plots are cultivated by 570 members of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation.
The Presidium of the Regional Board in Poznan recommended the garden and turned attention to the social commitment of allotment gardeners from this ROD. The explanatory memorandum states: "During the spring - summer this garden is a center of cultural events and recreational activities in Nowy Tomysl because the Management Board of ROD organizes many events for gardeners and the local community. The garden also organizes - with the participation of the Social Welfare Centre - packages for pensioners ".
The allotment gardeners from the ROD K. Swierczewski in Nowy Tomysl are not only open to all social initiatives, but also have a well landscaped garden and and ordered documentation. The garden is also well equipped with gardening and mechanical equipment. There is also an area which is called a Jordanowski garden and playground.
Furthermore, allotment gardeners show interest in the life of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation and actively participate in its defense and promotion. They also attach great importance to the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation’s literature. They are happy to read it and promote this publications e.g. "The Green Republic", "Allotment Gardener" or "My garden".
The allotment gardeners from the winning ROD also take part in the protection of the environment and ensure safety in the garden, among others performing patrols and equipping the main avenue of the garden with lamps. What was particularly pleasing was the fact that, the garden is open to the local community and organizes holidays for seniors, lessons about gardening and sport activities. Every year The Garden Day of Allotment Gardner is celebrated in the garden.
Allotment gardeners also participate actively in the life of the local community, and make efforts in promoting their ROD in regional media and on their website.
The Presidium of National Council of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation also selected the five winners of the submitted applications. The title “Family Allotment Garden 2015" went to:
- The family allotment garden (ROD) „Kolejarz” in Inowrocław – the bydgoski region
- ROD „Słoneczko” in Sokolow Podlaski – the mazovia region
- ROD „Miedzianka” in Polkowice – the legnicki region
- ROD „Fadom” in Ilawa – the warminsko – mazurski region
- ROD „Góra Zabelecka” in Nowy Sącz – the malopolski region
The Presidium of National Council of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation decided to award distinctions in nine categories:
- for statutory activity - ROD "Malwa" in Pila - the pilski region
- for ROD’s activity in defense of the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation and the Law of Family Allotment Gardens - ROD "Lesna Dolina" in Kwidzyn – the gdanski region
- for educational activities - ROD "Dojlidy" in Bialystok – the podlaski region
- for investments and repairs - ROD "Kolejarz" – in Siedlce – the mazovia region
- for ROD’s development - ROD "Pod Debami" in Milicz – the wroclawski region
- for plots’ development - ROD "Relax" in Jarocin – the kaliski region
- for environmental protection - ROD "Radosc" in Duszniki - Zdroj - the sudecki region
- for safety in the family allotment garden - ROD "Nowy Sad" in Stargard Szczecinski – the szczecinski region
- for the promotion ROD and the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation - ROD "Relax" in Oborniki – the poznanski region
The Polish Allotment Gardens Federation cares for gardeners and gardens
The competition "Family Allotment Garden of the Year" is one of the ways to activate allotment gardeners and management boards of family allotment gardens. The gardens have a chance to demonstrate their achievements. This friendly competition also encourages all users of plots to an even more intensive beautifying gardens. This competition is also an opportunity to show off the allotment garden activities and the cooperation with public institutions and other NGOs.
The Polish Allotment Gardens Federation is proud that so many family allotment gardens are willing to participate in this contest each year. It is also satisfying the fact that the allotment gardeners of the other gardens, which still need a little work on itself, make more and greater efforts, so their garden stands to compete with other gardens for the title of the Best Family Allotment Garden of the Year as soon as it is possible.
The author and translator: Agnieszka Drążek
Media Department in the Polish Allotment Gardens Federation